Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What I'm working on..

Well it's one of those paper shuffling kinda days for me. Right now I'm waiting for my computer to finish copying a file from one directory on the server into my directory on the server. And it seems to be taking forever. Ok, so maybe I overloaded the poor thing by asking it to attach some files to an email for one of my volunteers. Why does it take so long? Actually I don't even want to know why, just make it happen quicker.

I have no patience today...I want everything done NOW! Right now! Too much coffee? Not enough?? I'm taking a break to do a workout in a bit, pehaps that will help. And yes, I will actually do the workout this time. I take a Cardio Core class twice a week so that's where I'm headed. I hope the instructor is mericful today.

Then when I get back it's time to hit the phone lines and connect with some families who are just considering adoption and have asked for information. I am so far behind with calling these families and I feel really bad about it. I remember when we first started looking into adoption and I wanted all the information right now! (I also wanted a child "right now" but fortunately I had to wait!) At least the families that inquired have the information package that AFABC sends out, and that does have lots of info about MCFD adoptions and my toll free number to call.

Remember those days back when you first decided to adopt? It was scary, exciting and we were full of hope. Once we decided to adopt there was no going back, just forward. We had all these idealized versions of what parenthood would be like. I remember watching little kids with their moms walking to school hand in hand and it made me yearn to experience that too. (Reminds me of a conversation I had with my oldest daughter on her 5th birthday when I was asking her what I would do when she went to kindergarten with all the other kids. She answered "It's ok Mommy, you can stand outside the window and watch me." Fortunately I was never quite that desperate. OK, well maybe I did watch through the window but it was only for a few minutes, not like the whole day or anything. And I wasn't the only parent doing that.)

Then while we were waiting for the next two kids to come along I didn't have quite as much time to obsess over it, but still I managed to dream a little bit. I had this vision of family days at the park, camping trips, Christmas morning, etc. I hadn't counted on standing at the checkout at the local IGA hearing one of my children yelling at the top of her lungs "Mom, she touched my private parts!" Did I mention it was senior's day at IGA? I can laugh now, but then, not so much.

When I would attend support groups I would listen in awe and terror as the experienced moms would talk about some of the issues they were having with their kids. And I would sit back and think to myself, "Man I'm glad my kid doesn't do that." But now that my kids are older, they are those kids who are "doing that". And I think back to how grateful I am to those moms for sharing those challenges back then. I know I'm not the only one and that is incredibly priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment