Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Friday!

So that must mean it's time for a new poll question! Check it out and let me know about your happy place. Actually, for me, any and all of those could apply depending on the moment.

And I've updated my new reading list. I never did finish reading Hold on to Your Kids, or Brothers and Sisters in Adoption. They're both really interesting, but instead of reading them cover to cover I'll just continue to flip through them and read different sections.

I did however, finish the book the Ten Best Days of My Life that I was reading last week. It was a great read and of course a bit of a tear jerker ending, but really entertaining. I would definitely recommend reading it while you're in your happy place.

Yesterday at the library I picked up the latest James Patterson book. How does this guy write all these books so quickly? I know he has several other writers that write in his style, but still, how does he think up all the plots for all these different series he has?

The other book I requested from the library and it finally came in is "Things I've Been Silent About" by Azar Nafisi. Here's a bit from the jacket "...Azar Nafisi gives us a stunning personal story of growing up in Iran, memories of her life lived in thrall to a powerful and complex mother, against the background of a country's political revolution." I usually like reading memoirs and this one sounded really interesting, especially from a female perspective.

Can you imagine what our kids would write about their childhoods? I'd love to read that! The things they will remember verses my memory (or lack of memory) of different events. It's always interesting when my two sisters and I start discussing shared events from our childhoods. We all remember the same event differently. (Of course, my recollection is how it REALLY happened.) And for our kids who have processing difficulites among other challenges, it would be fascinating to know how they will recall certain events.

I also still haven't finished the More magazine from at least a month ago. Have you every read this publication? I quite like it because it is Canadian first of all, and lots of Canadian content, but also because it has articles, fashion and models that are reflective of life after 40. Not some 14 year old made up to look 21 wearing a size 00.

And because it's Friday, I need to get into the planning for the weekend. So far we have nothing planned for tonight, but because I'm still without a stove...(another long story) I guess we're bbqing again! Saturday starts off with 8:30 am soccer for one kid. I'm hoping my husband will keep the other two at home and I'll go for a run while the soccer practice happens. Then it's home so my husband can go off and do whatever he needs to do to get ready for a big wig client who's coming to town. (And no, I won't be "cooking" dinner for the client!). Then my oldest has two soccer games at 11:00 in Penticton which means I need to have plenty of snacks and water bottles ready to go, plus the other two have to bring things to keep them amused throughout the games. After that it's back home to catch up on yard and housework and figure out something else to bbq. Sunday we were supposed to go to True Colours Mentoring in Kelowna but there was a conflict with the dates so that's cancelled unfortunately. The oldest daughter is heading off with another mom who is taking 3 of them to two soccer games in Vernon, so she'll have to be up and ready to go by 8:30 am. With a fully loaded cooler bag to last the day. I'm hoping to get my flower beds and planters all done on Sunday too. It's almost June and they need to be done! My middle daughter loves helping with this kind of stuff and has no qualms about getting dirty and muddy. And of course, bbqing again! And then the weekend is over. Phew!

so what are you up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment