Friday, May 8, 2009

Overwhelmed with paperwork

Overwhelmed is a good way to describe how I feel when faced with all these upcoming assessments for my daughter. Yesterday in the mail I received a 15 page form to fill out for her October appointment with the child and adolescent psychiatrist. The day before that I received an 11 page form, as well as a 4 page child symptom inventory parent check list, 4 pages of consent forms, and of course the 4 page teacher check list and 5 page school reporting form.

It's so frustrating because by the time her appointments finally roll around, the information I filled out could be irrelevant. But such is the nature of assessments.

I dragged my husband to the recent appointment with the behaviorist. Not exactly my idea of "date night". Usually I go to all these appointments by myself or with the appropriate child or children in tow. This round, I'm taking him with me. So instead of me trying to tell him what the (fill in the blank) professional advice was while he's watching the hockey game, he gets to hear it first hand. What I don't understand is, when he hears the "fill in the blank" professional say something, he believes him or her. But if I just tell him what was said it has no credibility whatsoever. Another reason to drag him along to the appointments. But seriously, I was glad he was there and it doesn't make it seem so overwhelming when he's there with me. Plus we go to an adult oriented coffee shop before or after and have grown up hot beverages that come in real mugs and not take-away cups.

And speaking of hot beverages, check out the new poll and tell me your favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment