Monday, May 11, 2009

Days like these..

My day started off okay, but gradually it went downhill, accelerating into dysfunction.

I was taking my car in for it's regular service and had the brilliant idea that I would drop it off then jog home. Except I had too much coffee and there was no way I was going to use the grungy bathroom at the mechanic's. Fortunately I caught my husband in time to give me a lift home. So then I thought I would just do a workout on my treadmill because it had started to rain, and really, I mean, who wants to run in the rain? But then I thought I would just do a bit of work first, then definitely I was going to run. But oops, I'd forgotten about the appointment at the bank this morning to re-do our mortgage. Fortunately my husband called to remind me about the appointment and gave me a whole 10 minutes to shower and try and look decent. So much for the workout. I know, I could have come home and done a run because the bank appointment only took 15 minutes with a guy who looked about 15 years old. But I had already had my shower and that would mean getting changed back into my yoga pants, getting all sweaty, then having another shower. I kinda have this weird rule about one shower a day. Weird I know.

Things picked up until I was ready to start dinner. Guess what? My oven died. Thank goodness for the bbq! The major problem being, that tomorrow is my daughter's birthday and I had planned to bake her a birthday cake. Fortunately, IGA was still open so I made the call to the bakery department. Yeah yeah, I'll deal with the guilt over not baking her cake later. And of course I couldn't find the manual that came with the stove..I can find the manual for a toaster I bought in 1997, but not the one for the stove. After dinner I thought I'd just look up the error code or trouble shooting on the internet. But that would have required my wireless connection to be working and it was on the fritz - again! Meanwhile, my husband is yelling the play by play action from the Canucks game, my oldest daughter is doing her version of Miley Cyrus' "Hoe Down Throw Down" and all I can hear from my other two kids is slamming doors, banging noises and very loud whining. The dog hasn't been fed and the cat just threw up on my kitchen floor.

My solution, ignore them all and play a few rounds of Mahjong on the computer - no internet connection required! Finally I can't take the banging and crashing and I have to investigate. I know their ADHD meds have worn off, and I should have interfered earlier, but hey, hindsight is always 20/20. My son and my daughter are downstairs in the tv room/workout room and are having tons of fun throwing the large inflatable ball at each other while bouncing on the Boscu. It doesn't seem to matter that the tv is in the direct line of fire or that the ball was not made for that. Heavens no. Sigh. Just another of those fun parenting moments.

My other concern is for my daugther who is celebrating her birthday tomorrow. I know she's hoping her birth mom phones tomorrow. Hoping because over the years she has phoned a few times. I hope she phones. It would mean so much to our daughter. I guess I have to be prepared for either scenario, as well as deal with my other two kids who don't have access to any of their birth family. It could be tough for everyone, but it's all part of how we have to try and help our kids deal with all this crazy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment