Monday, January 18, 2010

Sooner or later, you will be able to laugh about it...

After my recent post about the trip up the ski hill, I started thinking about how I was smiling while blogging about it, and how although it wasn't the least bit funny at the time, it sure was when I wrote about it. I mean, really. It was funny.

But if I wasn't able to see the humor in it, and all the other crazy stuff that happens each day, I'd be locked away in the psych ward. (Although, I'll admit the 3 meals a day, group and individual therapy, and no responsibilites does sound somewhat appealing...)

But I digress...anyways, it reminded me of an article I had read by Pat O'Brien for PACT, An Adoption Alliance on using humor to help build attachment with our older kids. Here's a bit of the article...

"One of the most important ways to show your child you are neat is to share your imperfections. Let your child play with your vulnerabilities, telling your child about your most embarrassing moments and encouraging your child to share with you his or her most embarrassing moments. Kids feel imperfect about a lot of things; this is particularly true for new kids placed at older ages. Children appreciate an adult who can playfully make a fool out of everyday foibles, or an adult who can take a joke from a child, or an adult who will allow that child to play with their imperfections, or an adult who, after being accidentally embarrassed by a child, can laugh about it anyway.

One summer day, a co-worker, Liza, of mine brought her newly-adopted 8-year-old son Richie into the office because she was getting ready to go to a birthday party for herself after work. "Hey Liza, how old you gonna be?" I asked, knowing perfectly well she was approaching the 40-year mark. "It ain't none of your business!" Liza retorted. "Oh, come on, tell me!" "No way!" Then Richie jumped in, "Mr. Pat, I know how old Mommy's gonna be!" "Don't you dare tell him!" his mother threatened. Following his mother's instructions obediently, Richie said calmly, " Mommy's 22." "Well, okay, you tell him anything you want," says Mom, joining in everybody's laughter. Now, I'm wondering why he thinks his mother is 22. I figured we might get another little laugh out of discovering that his mom actually tells him she is 22. So I ask, "Hey Richie, how do you know your mom's 22?" Very innocently, Richie replies, "Because whenever I look in Mommy's dresses, they all say 22 in them." Did you ever try to hold in a laugh that needs to come out? Everyone in the office wanted to burst out laughing, but we all had to hold it in and look over to Liza first. When Liza started laughing, every one joined her in relief. It was one of those precious moments that Liza and Richie will be able to share forever. This potentially awkward situation turned into a attachment experience because Liza allowed it to do so."

I still laugh when I read this part. It's such a good reminder to keep a sense of humor.

Keep laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment