Friday, January 8, 2010

MYOB MYOB MYOB

Clearly this seems to be my daily mantra.

My most impulsive child just cannot let anything go without adding in her opinion. It doesn't matter that she wasn't asked for an opinion. It doesn't matter that it's nothing to do with her. It doesn't matter that I've already told her several times to "mind your own business". Nope. She has to comment.

And can you possibly imagine how well her siblings like to hear her opinion? So then that starts off another round of arguing. Then of course I have to intervene because MYOB daughter has an excellent talent for pushing her brother's and sister's buttons to try to get them in trouble for yelling at her. Because it's never HER fault.

And yet I know that MYOB daughter doesn't strategically plan for these events (at least I hope not), yet she never ever misses an opportunity to take advantage of one. (Gee, it would be so nice if she could put that much effort into her school work instead!) She can be totally oblivious to everything else that's going on around her, but if there's even the slightest hint of a conversation that she isn't a part of, she will make sure she voices her opinion.

And what's so annoying, is that even if I know she agrees with the who ever is speaking, she will still take the opportunity to insert the opposing opinion, even if it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Fortunately my older daughter has developed the skills to not get caught up in her sister's drama, and chooses instead to roll her eyes and repeat my mantra of MYOB. However MYOB daughter has found her perfect opponent in her brother.

He's 18 months younger than her, but more advanced in many ways. However he is the poster child for ADHD and extremely sensitive. Even if I'm in the room and can hear the "discussion", he still will end up so mad at her, his face is bright red and his eyes are watering. I can intervene, tell him I heard everything and I know what his sister is doing, but he is so far gone by then, he stomps off and it takes quite awhile for him to calm down. And although my husband and I can talk to him then, explain what his sister is doing, give him some strategies for the next time (cause we all know there WILL be a next time) he still holds a grudge. And even hours later, at bedtime, he's still upset about what happened. But MYOB daughter has of course forgotten all about it by then, and is happy happy happy.

Sometimes I wish I had a happy happy happy place I could go to.

2 comments:

  1. My happy, happy, happy place involves wine, a bubble bath and a good book ;)However, that requires more effort and planning now - so not as indulgent as before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,it definitely requires more planning for a "happy place" visit once kids enter the picture. Does that make the happy place happier???

    ReplyDelete