Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday morning snow...




Where was this snow on the weekend so I could kick my kids outside to play in it? All we had this weekend was a muddy brown mess in our yard. And it seems most of it ended up in my entry way. I lost count of how many times I swept, washed, nagged about taking shoes off on the mat.

But we did have fun on Saturday in the snow up at the ski hill. It was one of those picture perfect days with lots of sunshine up there and it sure makes a difference in everyone's mood when we all get fresh air and exercise. Because frankly, if I had to listen to one more "I'm bored", I thought I would lose it! What am I, the social coordinator? NO, clearly I'm the cook, housekeeper and referee. I don't recall "social coordinator" being on the job description. (Speaking of a job description, I want it revised!)

And although I may complain about my job description, I have to say my kids are incredible assistants most of the time. For example when we go skiing, they always help load and unload everything and although that may not seem like much, it really helps me out. I "just" have to make sure everyone's gear is present and accounted for, pack the lunches and snacks, and make sure everything gets from the pile in the entry way in to the car, and reverse it all when we get home. And they rarely complain about it.

My daughter with FASD and diabetes has to be with either me or my husband all the time, and she's usually a pretty good helper. With all her food issues, she's the perfect candidate to put the groceries away (with supervision) after a trip to Costco. That way she gets to see all the food we've bought and decide well in advance of what her snack choices will be.

My son doesn't seem to mind endless trips up and down the stairs to restock toilet paper, get thing from or take things to the freezer, go back and turn lights off, as long as he can run and stomp on the stairs as loudly as possible.

My oldest daughter is usually the one who complains the most, but she is also the first one to start hauling all the ski equipment out and trudging it upstairs. She's also the one who will, without being asked, pick up the slack when she sees I'm getting frustrated with one of the other kids.

All in all, I have 3 great kids and I can't imagine my world without them. However, I can certainly imagine my world without their dirty laundry piles and dishes. But I guess that will have to wait until I win the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment