Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It was fun while it lasted...

You see, whenever I have to go to Kamloops for work I stay with my parents who live there. It's convenient, clean, always available and the food is great. At little too great.

Ola, who is a great friend and my partner in crime when it comes to True Colours and Transracial Parenting Workshops, was with me and we had left our children and husbands behind. The weather was beautiful and I got to choose the music for the drive in the little rented Yaris. (Ola always brings gospel music or some other weird stuff so too bad this time she forgot her cds!)

We had a great meeting with the MCFD team in Kamloops and I dropped off 8 Welcome Home Baskets for families with new placements in the Kamloops area. Then we made the trip to the North Shore where I finally got to meet Monica who facilitates the long standing AFABC support group. We had a great visit too, but by then it's after 5 and time to head to my parents' place.

My mom's made a great dinner for us, and I brought a bottle of wine. (Too bad Ola doesn't drink wine, there was more for us!) And of course my mom made dessert. Peach pie with ice cream - it was sooo good. (And can you believe it, Ola doesn't LIKE ice cream! Again, more for me.) We watched some tv and had my mom's home made cookies (Ola does like those so I shared.) Note: I could of course make cookies myself...if I had an oven.

The next day we had a quick visit with Deanna who is starting a new playgroup in Kamloops (see the previous post for details). Time for lunch then running around doing some errands for the True Colours event the next day. Back to my parent's for another great dinner, more pie, more ice cream. Oh yeah, and more wine too. Sunday, my mom made pancakes. After lounging around for awhile we headed off to MacArthur Island for the first True Colours event in Kamloops. (Ola did all the work while I visited with the parents and looked after Sandy's foster daughter.) By the time we were out of there we were starving (hard to imagine I know!). Then we had to stop at White Spot for dinner before heading home. Phew!

But now it's Monday and back to whatever my reality is. The reality that I'm afraid to try to wear my jeans, so I must work off all that food and wine. It used to be so easy when I was in my twenties. Even in my thirties it wasn't all that hard. Now it sucks big time. So I pulled out my Jillian Michaels exercise dvd. It's a killer, but it works. None of my workouts are as sweat inducing as this one is. And there's no fancy footwork involved, no equipment except my own body weight. (No comments on that please!). I was drenched at the end of it. But I feel I have done my pennance for the food and wine. Three days of bad eating equals 5 days of heavy cardio. Will I learn from this? Nope. Cause I like pie and ice cream too much.

To quote the Katy Perry song "don't make the bet if you can't write the cheque". I'll just keep writing cheques thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment