Friday, June 5, 2009

Thursday's adventures

I spent yesterday away from my computer (and I survived!) on a trip to Kamloops that started at 7:00 am and finished at 9:30 pm. A very long, but productive kind of day. Kamloops is about 3 hours from my house and it was a beautiful morning for a drive. I plugged in my Ipod, turned up the volume, and set the cruise control.

My first meeting was with the MCFD adoption and guardianship team and it was great to finally meet some of the workers I'd been emailing and playing phone tag with. I gave them all some of the new AFABC posters to brighten up their drab offices and waiting areas, and we talked about all the great things we've planned for the Kamloops area. Plus they had some suggestions for me and it was great to get that feedback. (They have cookies and fruit at their team meetings.)

From there it was off to meet my intrepid volunteer in Kamloops, Susan Britton and have lunch at a Greek restaurant. From there we drove around and checked out locations for a playgroup (found a great one at the YMCA Child Care Resource & Referral centre up on Hugh Allen Drive). Then it was over to the North Shore to check out the location for our workshop and spaghetti dinner in November, and McDonald Park the location for our picnic in August. We also did a drive-by of the Boys and Girls Clubs McArthur Park location as a possibility for the True Colours program we want to get going in the fall. Then it was back downtown to check out the YMCA location for their after school programs. By the time we finished there we were in desperate need of a cool drink - it was 35 C. We headed to Zacks' for an iced tea and who did we run into, but Coreena McBurnie who used to be the Adoption Support Coordinator for Kamloops! How did her kids get to be so big? It ws great to re-connect with her and she's excited about getting back involved with AFABC.

So by the time Susan and I finished our iced teas I hiked back to my car in the scorching heat and headed out of town to my sister-in-law's place in Vernon for a steak dinner. (Meanwhile my husband is at home making scrambled eggs on toast for dinner.) I had this delusion that I would have time to stop and get groceries on my way home from Vernon, but by the time I left there at 8 pm there was no way I had the energy to stop at the Super Store. I guess I'll have fun with that today. Oh yeah, that reminds me, she gave me some tomato plants - I better go get those right now before they dehydrate in my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment