Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Penticton Playgroup

On Sunday I had the opportunity to host the Penticton Adoptive Families Playgroup. My regular volunteer Candy couldn't make it, so I filled in. Unfortunately that meant we had to miss the Kelowna True Colours Juneteenth celebration though.

The kids and I arrived with our case of TimBits precisely at 1 pm and set up camp somewhere between the numerous birthday parties and the bbqs. The Skaha Lake waterpark and playground has just been revamped and improved and it was "the" place to be on Sunday. We quickly set up in the last sliver of shade and attached our AFABC banner to the fence.

We also quickly discovered why this little piece of shade was vacant. It was very soggy - very soggy indeed. But that didn't deter us, no siree. Two of the kids were off the check out the ducks in the pond while my oldest and I played frisbee.

One of my daughter's friends was there with her family, so the mom and I were catching up on summer holiday plans and the usual school gossip. I was hoping we weren't going to be the only adoptive family there and I was starting to panic a bit, when a woman loaded down with blankets and toys stopped by and asked if we had the whole shaded area.

Being desperate, I introduced myself and proceeded to chat for a full ten minutes with this lovely young woman. Finally she said, "I'm not part of your group, I was just wondering if we could share the shade. But now I see how soggy it is, I think we'll go to another spot." Sigh.

Finally a few families starting showing up so I was spared any further embarrassment. It's so interesting how the location for a playgroup can make such a difference. We've had huge turnouts for the Penticton playgroups that Candy has hosted at the rec centre gym, but much lower turnouts when we meet at the park. The official summer picnics are always well attended, but not so much for outdoor playgroups. At least in Penticton it seems to be this way.

One mom suggested it was because the park is open to all those "normal" families and our families tend to be more visible. Another comment was that the park doesn't tend to feel as "supportive" as our closed group. That being said, it's hard to justify being inside when the weather is so nice outside.

Another issue we've had in Penticton is the inability to get adoptive parents out to any type of evening support group, despite trying several different formats over the last few years. Yet Kelowna, Vernon, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm all have great turnouts for their groups. One mom said that she's heard from other adoptive parents she knows that they don't have any adoption issues with their kids so they have no need to come out.

Oh well, at least they all know where we are when they do feel they need the support. We'll be at the soggy spot by the water park.

No comments:

Post a Comment