Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 2 of camp

And welcome to day 2...

After an exhausting night of tossing and turning all the girls were wide awake at 7 am. Which I guess wasn't all that early, but some of us had just finally fallen into a deep sleep. Our cabin connects with a bathroom to another cabin with just as many overly excited girls and tired moms as ours, but I have to admit, our cabin was better for sleeping.

One of the boys' grandmas came along for the trip, and good for her for making the trip. It's difficult enough to parent your grandchild, but this grandma is doing the best she can, and if that means accompanying her grandson to camp, she's there. This woman is a real trooper, plus she can bake up a storm too! However, as nice and as giving as this woman is, you really don't want her in your cabin. She has sleep apnea and requires one of those machines to help her breathe at night. One of the younger girls woke up in the middle of the night screaming that Darth Vader was coming to get her. Grandma got up to see what all the screaming was about and further scared the girl because Grandma still has the mask over her nose and the hose attached. Let's just say no one got much sleep in their cabin after that.

We all desperately needed our coffee. But the weather cooperated and the morning was filled with horseback riding, group games and preparing for the fireside skit. The skit prep was the most painful to watch and I took the opportunity to sneak out and watch my other daughter climb the rock wall. I so wanted to try it, but too many kids and not enough time. I sat in the sun for as long as I could delay my return to the skit room. When I returned, the skit was well underway. I watched from a distance and tried to keep my face neutral. My daughter, who hates being in front of other people was playing the role of someone who was trying to start a lawn mower, with the part of the lawm mower being played by the most disruptive kid in the school. Sigh. My 10 year old daughter was lowering her behavior to a 4 year old level. How I wish she had the ability to rise above the potty mouth stage.

But I have to say, that overall, she did quite well for the duration of the camp. It must have been really tough for her to be around "friends" all the time and have to keep it together. But she did a pretty good job. One of the moms in our group was that "overly controlling can't let her kid do anything without her" kind of mom. It was weird too because she wouldn't actually "do" anything with her kid. She wouldn't play any of the field games, or ride the horses, or climb the wall. All she did was constantly tell the kid what he should be doing. The poor kid never got to do anything without his mom telling him what to do.

I didn't do all the activities, but I did get to ride a horse, and I would have tried the rock wall climbing. I played in some of the wide games after dinner with the kids and other parents, but that was dangerous! But it was fun, and as I mentioned before, there was first aid available!

By lunch time of day 2, I couldn't handle another carb-loaded meal of white bread and mystery meat, so I went and had a power nap on my "comfy" bed. By the end of the afternoon the kids had BMX'd, swam, found 3 frogs and 2 dead mice, and were having the "best time ever!". I guess I can suck it up for that.

We survived the spaghetti dinner, the campfire skits, and another sleepless night. My daughter had switched friends at this point, although I'm not sure why.

On the morning of day three our cabin nazi-mom got everyone up and packed before breakfast, and some of us were already planning our early escape - oops I mean departure. We had one more wide game to play with all the kids in the field that involved the parents being super heroes, the kids telling us what to do, and lots of running and carrying things. Fun, but exhausting, and at least there was no tackling involved or rope burns.

Some of us decided to skip the hamburger lunch in favor of Booster Juice in Vernon and headed back to civilization. I hate going back to civilization when I've been sequestered away at camp. I feel as if I look like someone who has been living in the wilds for years on end and suddenly appears. Yes I really need to shave my legs.

The kids had such a good time, and I am glad I got to go with them. Nothing like observing kids in their natural habitat! I wasn't prepared for the aftershocks when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment