Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Migraines - who evented these anyways??

Yesterday it hit me - that horrible feeling that one was "heading" my way. The split vision, the difficulty forming coherent thoughts (although some days that's just normal for me). Sometimes I can figure out what the trigger is, and other times, like yesterday, it came without a reason. I had been working away at my desk and I took a break to do a quick workout on my treadmill. I was interrupted by my daughter's EA phoning to ask something, then I finished my workout (dedicated I know!). I drank a big glass of water and went back to work at my desk. I was returning a phone call from some poor woman I had never spoken to before and I was making a pathetic attempt to give her some information on how to start the MCFD adoption porcess, when I realized that nothing I was saying was making any sense whatsoever. (I hope she didn't think I was drunk or anything!) I was smart enough and coherent enough to ask if I could call her back another day. Then I dragged my butt upstairs to bed cause I knew what I was headed for. And I wasn't disappointed.

For anyone who has never experienced a migraine, it's as if there is a sharp knife being stabbed into my head, and any amount of movement or light makes the pain worse. Sometime during the lunch hour my husband came home and kindly didn't try to talk to me. My cat curled up with me and I don't think I even noticed she was there. (As if she cared!)

The kids were due home at 2:55, so I forced my self up and into the shower all the while pumping myself full of Advil Liquid Gels for migraines, which didn't even touch the pain. But at least by this point I didn't feel like vomiting (always a good feeling). When the kids came in the door I told them about the really really really bad headache I had, and asked them to cooperate as much as they could, plus keep the volume down.

It never fails. My oldest is the most sensitive of the three and gives me a big hug and instantly starts speaking in a quiet voice. Kid number two and kid number three act as if everything is as per usual and can't/won't adjust their volume levels or behaviors. So predictable. Throughout the afternoon I continued to remind them to speak quietly because my head really really hurts. Nope, no change. Sigh.

My head hurt to read. My head hurt to move too quickly. My head hurt to think. So I just went and laid down on my bed with the lovely sound of my children playing, laughing, arguing, whining, in the distance. Where's my happy place now???

But that was yesterday, and today is another new day. So far, without a migraine although it's still there on the fringe.

No comments:

Post a Comment