Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to work...

Did the holidays go by quickly for you, or did it seem to drag? Mine went by quite quickly and after all the hustle and bustle of Adoption Awareness month, I sure needed the break.

Speaking of Adoption Awareness month, in the next few posts over the next few days, I'll be adding some photos and letting you know how the events went.

But today is all about catching up on the paperwork and reports. And me trying to re-focus my brain to work again. Speaking of focussing, have you ever heard of "zentangles"? My sister is quite into this, and we got my middle daughter started on it too.

Here's a description from one of the websites:
Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity. Zentangle provides artistic satisfaction and an increased sense of personal well being. Zentangle is enjoyed by a wide range of skills and ages and is used in many fields of interest.


It's very cool, and very very good for kids with ADHD as it gives them something to do while relaxing them. My daughter loves it, and the great thing is it's portable, inexpensive (all you need is paper and a pen) and there's no right or wrong way to do it.

Check out this website (and there are many more to choose from) http://www.zentangle.com/index.php

Speaking of crafty things, both my daughters received Doodlearts - the full size ones! I used to love these back in the day and I'm glad they're available again. Hours of colouring, which I love. See, I really miss the days of colouring with crayons in colouring books as I did with my kids when they were much younger. And now, thanks to Doodleart, I get to colour with them again.

I also gave my daughters funky looking pocket size puzzle books. One got Sudoku and the other got Logic puzzles. My oldest daughter is gifted and she loves logic puzzles. It's freaky how she can have the patience to figure them out - it drives me insane! Plus she got another Professor Layton game for her DS which is also all logic puzzles.

Oh and I didn't forget about my son. He's not really into any kind of typical puzzles but my husband found a Meccano set for him and he spent quite a bit of time doing that. Everything for him right now is about video games. Actually it's been that way for quite a long time, come to think of it. But when he's banned from video games he spends lots of time drawing the characters from them. Or reading graphic novels about them. Can you tell he's a ten year old boy?

And speaking of losing focus, I'm supposed to be writing about something else aren't I? Perhaps I should go do some zentangles to clear my mind....?

No comments:

Post a Comment