Saturday, November 28, 2009

Eye contact...

So I stop by the school the other morning around 9:15 to drop off something for my daughter. And of course her class room is at the far end of the school and although I considered asking the secretary to deliver it for me, I dreaded seeing the look on her face that says "What, are your legs broken?" So I slink off down the hall avoiding the little munchkins that are so cute all lined up waiting to go the library. (I remember those days, when my kids were happy to see me at the school and the other secretary would have delivered the note for me.)

I slip the note into my daughter's lunch bag and as I prepare to make a hasty exit, my son's teacher spots me. (Don't make eye contact, don't make eye contact, don't make eye contact, I keep saying to myself). But she waits for me, so I suck it up and put on my nice-mom face.

"I wondering if you've been to see his doctor's lately?" she politely inquires.

"Yes, just last week.'

"Oh, because I've been really noticing his inability to sit and focus on his work."

"Well he's at the max. dosage for his meds, and we're keeping an eye on him, but please let me know if he's causing too many problems and isn't getting his work done."

"It's not that he's causing problems, and all the kids love him, it's just he could be doing so much better if he could sit still long enough to follow the directions and complete his work."

I'm thinking to myself, once again, that it's a good thing he's cute and charming. (My son, not the teacher)

"Please let me know if he's behind in anything." as I try to leave. Not that easy. I then have to listen to the story of how although the class just cleaned out their desks the day before, my son's looks like a tornado rammed through it. Yada, yada, yada. He's ADHD. I'd be surprised if his desk WAS clean.

Finally I escape the well intentioned teacher, because she really is well intentioned, and very nice too. I suggested that what works best with my son, is getting him to tidy his desk every day, because that's how we try to keep his room under control. And she did appreciate the suggestion. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment