Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My road is more than 1 km in length...


and on this day it is covered in snow and ice and -8 degrees celsius not including the wind chll factor. Our property is the last one before you start climing a long steep hill. At the top of the hill is a winery, which makes climbing the hill in summer and fall worthwile. My kids take the school bus to and from school. The bus stop is at the flat end of our road.

No, this is not one of those horrible math problems where train A leaves the station at 2 pm travelling north while train B leaves the station at 2:15 pm travelling east....yada yada yada. My point, and I do have one,is that my wonderfully adorable 10 year old ADHD son didn't come home from school on time today. I saw the bus on the road below us so I know it left the school on time. Oh, he must have had basketball afterschool today and will have left me a message on the phone (because we already had an incident last week when he didn't phone me to tell me there was basketball and stayed and I didn't know where he was.) Nope no message. So I phone the school and yes there is basketball afterschool today - girls basketball.

By now he is 15 minutes late and just as the panic starts to set in, he walks in the door.

Me: How did you get home?
Him: I took the bus.
Me: But the bus went by 15 minutes ago.
Him: I got distracted and forgot where I was going.
Me: How could you forget where you were going when you walked right by our house?
Him: I was looking at my boots and thinking about what happened at school.
Me: (Thinking something terrible had happened at school to make him this distracted) So what happened at school? (I tried to use my caring, concerned mom voice)
Him: We had so much fun playing snow soccer today!
Me: Snow soccer? That's what you thought about all the way up the hill in the cold wind on a slippery road?
Him: Yeah and I was looking at my boots the whole way.
Me: Seriously?
Him: Yeah.
Me: What else was left to say.

This is why medication is a good thing. Perhaps I need to talk to the pediatrician about upping the dose.

No comments:

Post a Comment