Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Silver Lake Camp - Day One

I had this whole post written in my head, and as I started to write it for the blog I thought - no one is going to believe this actually happened. No one is going to believe the following:
1. That any sane person would knowingly attend camp two years in a row.
2. That even after having had many many many experiences where I had to pack up one or all of my children and leave an event early, would I accept the offer from another mom to ride with her.
3. That I would actually take the time to pack my son a bagged lunch like the other kids, when he would choose to spend his time running up and down the side of a mountain with all the other boys.
4. That I would actually be helping a group of ten grade 4 and 5 kids come up with a rap that included the name of their activity group "The Chippy Chipmunks".
5. That the only seat left in the lodge at dinner time was across from the "child-raised-by-wolves" who eats spaghetti and sauce with both his hands, and I was helping my daughter at another table so I got to sit with him.
6. That I would be foolish enough to think that by 10 pm, 13 grade 5 girls would eventually be able to settle down.
7. That one 11 year old girl could wake up throughout the night at regular intervals asking "What time is it?"
8. That one 11 year old girl with asthma could cough all night long as if she's been chain smoking for 50 years.
9. That my own daughter, despite repeated firm requests to go to sleep or lie quietly, has to go to the bathroom 4 times in one evening when she hasn't had anything to drink since 7 pm.
10. That my own daughter, despite repeated firm requests to go to sleep or lie quietly, can innocently claim that it's not her kicking the bunk above her. It's not her who is throwing her pillow at the bunk beside her. It's not her who is playing in the washrooms.
11. That I would not be able to follow through on my threat to take my daughter home immediately because I hadn't driven to camp.
12. That after a sleepless night, the only other adult in the cabin with me would NOT strangle the 11 year old girl who in response to the adult saying how inconsiderate she was to keep everyone up and how since she's been here before she should know better, replied in her rudest voice "No, last year we were at Circle Square Ranch."
12. That all this could happen before 7:30 am.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...yes, the end of the year camp. So many similar memories to yours - and that is why I choose not to teach Grade 7 anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad someone else has felt my pain!

    ReplyDelete