Monday, May 17, 2010

Consequences.....

Is it archaeology? Is it grave robbing? Or simply the result of having all your electronic devices taken away?

My son and daughter number 2 had a "less than" successful transition to bedtime last night. It involved throwing stuffed animals into each other's rooms and taunting each other with:

"You can't read that book - it's mine!"

"It's not your book, it's from the library! I can read it if I want to."

"No you can't!"

"Yes I can!"

"Then I want one of your books, and not those stupid princess or horse books. They're retarded and only babies read those!"

"Then here!" (She throws 4 paperback books involving princesses and/or horses into his room.)

"That's disgusting. I'm not reading those. Give me back my book!"

"No I've got it now and you're stupid".

"Well you're stupider. Either give me my book or I take your bunny."

"No, not my bunny!" (This was said in a whiny voice reminiscent of when she was 3. Just for the record - she's 11)

By this point, I had given up on ignoring them and had to go settle the dispute. Besides it was difficult to concentrate on the plot of Law and Order when chaos is reigning supreme.

I sent them both to bed without the books or any stuffed animals taken as hostages. And I promised them, that for the next day they would have tons of time to figure out this problem as they were banned from all electronic devices including but not limited to: DS, Wii, computer, television or their sister's iPhone.

So fast forward to today after school. My son has realized that because I'm not technically an Alzheimer's patient just yet, I have total recall of the previous night and have not forgotten my promise of no electronics. So he heads outside after consuming yet another $20 worth of groceries in 15 minutes.

We live on property surrounded by orchard so although the kids have to stay out of the fruit trees, they have lots of space to play soccer, or whatever game comes to mind. Today's imagination led him to start digging in the mud, and he found some bones. I tried to convince him that they were just chicken bones from someone's garbage that a dog got into, but he has an eye for detail and said "Mom, chickens don't have teeth or fangs." (I guess he really was paying attention when reading all those books about dinosaur skeletons.)

Of course his sister had to go out and help him uncover more bones - did I mention it was pouring rain at this point, and I had actually washed my floor this morning?

Within minutes they were back with more bones that suspiciously looked like they were from someone's cat. They of course were thrilled - me, not so much. (instant flashback to reading Steven King's Pet Cemetery).

And once again I had to intervene and spoil all the fun. Yes, that's me. The Fun Sucker. I can suck the fun out of anything.

And on and on it went. While I was trying to make dinner and help my oldest with her French homework, the other two were in his bedroom and all I could hear was crashing and banging combined with maniacal laughter. (I will not give in, I will not give in, I will not give in...)

And right on cue, my husband walks in the door and wants to know who's been digging in the mud over the septic tank. (As if he doesn't already know the answer.)

Me thinks it's time to put on the iPod and go for a long walk in the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Dianna!!!! I was just coming on here to see if something had happened (it's been a while since my news feed had a new post). I completely understand. You've moved (are still living?) in the Twilight zone.

    I had such a good giggle... let me know if you decide to escape, I'll pick you up at YVR!

    ReplyDelete