Monday, March 15, 2010

Ping pong, pie and spring break - week one


It was wonderful, glorious, yada yada yada...but the party's over and now it's back to work. I took the first week of the kids' spring break off and somehow it went by all too quickly. I was really really disciplined in not checking my emails, so now I have tons to catch up on, but that's ok. I needed the break, and now I actually feel like working again.

I can't tell you what exactly it was we did for that week, certainly my house isn't any cleaner, but it was so nice to have a break with my kids. My husband worked on and off over the week, but mostly we just hung out, went to dentist appointments, went shopping in Kelowna, did a Costco run, nothing too exciting.

I know it all sounds rather mundane and boring, but sometimes boring is good. Gone on are the days of my kids needing me to be there every waking moment to referee and help them choose something to do. Nor do I have to make their snacks and lunches every day. But they do need supervision, especially my one daughter who struggles the most with social skills, boundaries, etc. I don't know how many times in a day I say to her "MYOB", but I'm sure it's at least a gazillion. And I've also lost track of how many times I've confiscated my son's Nintendo DS and held it hostage until his assigned chores are completed properly.

My oldest needs to be reigned in on her Facebook time, so that's the bargaining tool I use with her. And she's also earning money to pay for her ticket to the Hedley concert coming up next week, so actually, some of the house cleaning is getting done.

And we did hike up the mountain the other day, we tried to go skiing but it was way too windy and cold, and we spent the weekend visiting my parents in Kamloops. My dad had set up the ping pong table in his heated garage, so the tournament was on! How come nobody plays this anymore? We played all the time when we were kids, and most of my friends' parents had ping pong tables too. (The rich friend had a pool table). The kids had a blast playing that game, and trying to beat their Grampa at crib.

And the best part, my mom made lemon meringue pie. It was soooo good. And ginger snap cookies, and some other kind of cookie that included pecans and coconut. Yes, I'm sure I gained 5 pounds.

So now, it's back to work, back to reality, and back to my treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment