Monday, March 29, 2010

Note to self...



Don't watch "The Blind Side" and read "Push" by Sapphire in the same weekend.

By Sunday evening I was a mess. I enjoyed The Blind Side, but I'm not so sure Sandra deserves best actress for it; perhaps the story should have been "best screenplay". I strongly believe that everyone needs someone they can count on and feel connected to for their entire lives, and Michael found his family. But as happy as I was for him and his family, my heart goes out to all those others who never find that. I couldn't help but get teary eyed for his birth mom, and the scene in the restaurant where he sees his brother. I think it was Big Mike's social worker that mentioned how whenever he would leave a foster placement, Michael would always go back to the projects to find his "momma". So many moments that ring true for so many of our kids.

I was also reading Push by Sapphire this weekend, and I haven't been able to finish it. Her story is horrific, yet she manages to survive. I know I won't be able to watch the movie "Precious" based on the novel. It's not that I want all my adoption/foster care/black stories to end happily ever after. It's not that I see what could have been for my kids. It's the level of suffering that so many children endure here in North America, where we're supposed to have it all. Then my mind goes to all the suffering of children around the world who endure trauma on a daily basis. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well all weekend.

So as I sent my own 3 kids out the door to school this morning, I reminded myself that I've made a difference in the lives of three children. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment