Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New Support Group

Yes, I've decided to start a new support group - just until the Olympics are over. It's for spouses of people addicted to watching the Olympics.

I will be the first member. My husband could watch the Olys all day long and not move from his chair unless it was to visit the washroom or to get food. Of course he is also the man who can sit through Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights which consists of 2 games for at least a total of 5 hours. And let's not forget that the household must stop whatever they are doing for 5 minutes of silence while Don Cherry speaks at the first intermission.

Now I'll admit I like watching the Olympics too. For short periods of time. Like when one of our local Olympians was competeing in the moguls on Saturday night. But hey, I can multitask. For me it's not an all or nothing thing. I can get up and do things and come back and watch parts of it, go do something else, return and watch. You get the idea.

I loved watching the openning ceremonies and I forbid anyone in the room to comment on how much this event was costing all of us while so many people were starving and without a warm place to sleep. But even watching that for 3 hours was a challenge for me.

Two of the kids were mad because I wouldn't take them to their elementary school Valentine's Dance instead of watching the ceremonies. For the record I have taken them to 6, yes 6, Valentine Dances at their school and the only thing that changes year after year is that the little kids get bigger. The boys spend the evening running around the gym chasing each other. The girls practice their dance moves. The kids consume massive quantities of treats while the parents are left with the veggies. The girls end up chasing the boys around the gym and into the change rooms. There's always loud music (do I sound like I'm getting old?) and the usual silent auction items and raffles to raise money for the PAC.

So this year I decided I would do what I wanted which was to watch the Olympics. But as the night went on and their ADHD meds wore off, I was beginning to question my choice. My son couldn't sit still if his life depended on it. My middle daughter was constantly checking the clock to see if it was snack time yet. And my older daughter had to sing along with all the songs and give her critique on the hair, the clothes, etc. throughout the performances. Another typical family night. Definitely still better than the Valentine's Dance.

Anyways, we've now had what, 5 days of Olympics? And still my husband is obsessed with flipping between the networks to see which event is being covered on which station, not wanting to miss anything. And Team Canada hasn't even played in men's hockey yet! We have to drag him away to join us at the dinner table.

Is anyone with me??

1 comment:

  1. Well, I watch a lot of the Olympics, but I watch it in French. We don't have cable, but for some strange reason, we get channel 108 which has great coverage - just en francais. It is actually SO much fun to watch ..."ooh la lah! C'est incroyable!"

    ReplyDelete