Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why is Obama being president such a big deal?

Good question isn't it? And how do I explain it to a child?

For many of our kids, the significance of having a person of colour in such a high position of power is no big deal. Every night on the news we see media clips from around the world where all races are represented, (not always is a good way!) and our kids have access to various forms of media and see people of colour represented here too.

I guess I could go into the long history of slavery and the many, many injustices that have been perpetrated on people of colour for centuries. But for a young child with very little grasp of the passage of time it's a very abstract concept to discuss. Sure, we've read stories and talked about current events when we hear or see them, and we try to label racism and stereotyping when we see it too.

So what IS the big deal with Obama? Yes he's black. But is that all that matters? Don't his politics matter too? Yes, it's a definite milestone to have someone other than a rich white guy in the White House.

It seems the American voting public was in desperate need of someone to lead them out of their current struggles, and he was the chosen one. And he sure seems to be a great role model for all young people of colour.

But back to the original question...why is it such a big deal? Just because he's a person of colour? From our kids' point of view, everyone is equal...arn't they? That's what our kids are taught in school, so how come the other people don't know this? (Another good question!) As adults we know that racism is alive and well, and we know that many people don't share our views on "equality". But for our kids of colour, it's simple. Especially at young ages when they have yet to experience the harsh realities of racism.

So what do we do? I guess we keep talking with our kids about what is happening in our world, our country, our province, our community; and help them understand at their level, some of the realities of the world. As with all the people of colour that our children see in the media, we must be ever vigilant that we not perpetuate stereotypes, and that we explain that all people are different, and that no one person speaks for all people of their race. Every one is important.

I thought I would include some advice given to President Obama from some Winnipeg school kids...

"Dear President Obama: I think to be a better president you will need to quit smoking. You are not setting a good example for people if the president of the U.S.A. smokes."

-- From Myles Irvine, 13


"Dear President Obama: I really like the United States, but I wouldn't live there. The country is boring. You need to spice it up. Do something totally different. I suggest painting the White House or making new laws such as, no spinach in meals, or parents can't give out chores to the oldest child. But, hey, what do I know? I'm only 12 years old."

-- From Joey Matthews, 12


"Dear President Obama: If I were to give advice to you, I would tell you to try to end what is going on in Iraq. To once and for all end what George Bush caused. Although there are many problems like these occurring right now, I think that a huge issue in my opinion is that I have not met the Jonas Brothers yet. I think you should send the Jonas Brothers to Winnipeg for one of their amazing concerts."

-- Thank you, Jayme C., 13, Grade 8

1 comment:

  1. I love the innocence of children...requesting Jonas Brothers to go to Wpg is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete