Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake



I just finished reading this book, and I'm sure it's the quirkiest book ever.

It has nothing to do with adoption or race, but it was a fascinating read. It was kind of like watching a train wreck - I couldn't stop reading it.

The story features a girl who at the age of 9 who discovers her magical gift. When she eats, she can taste the emotions of the person who made the food. (I know, I know. Sounds weird.)

It starts with Rose, the 9 year old, biting into her mother's famous homemade lemon chocolate cake, and tastes her mother's despair and desperation. (I wish they would have included the lemon chocolate cake recipe!)

Emotions, secrets, hidden truths are all revealed to Rose when she eats food someone else has prepared.

Definitely worth requesting from the library. If you've read it, or plan on reading it, let me know what you think. Definitely quirky.

No comments:

Post a Comment