Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How did it happen?

Once again my best intentions for blogging regularly have fallen by the wayside. So I'll try to catch up the best I can.

Rhianna was fab-u-lous! We had great seats (even when the security guy came and made us move to our real seats because I had read the ticket wrong because I didn't have my glasses!), and it was so great to see all the Harambee people in their bright green shirts rocking out.

The next day we headed out to Naramata for the afternoon/evening for dinner with the Paterson family. Perhaps I should back up a bit and explain why we weren't camping with the group since we've been going there for the past 11 years.

So here's the story...I didn't want to.

Last year's week long camping experience just about pushed me right over the edge. Between one kid who was "bored", one who was happy to just hang out with his two buddies, and one who required constant supervision it was exhausting. It's not that there's nothing to do, because there's lots of activities to join in and lots of other kids to hang out with; not to mention the beaches. But for my one daughter who struggles with most aspects of being away from home and all things familiar, it's exhausting to try and keep her safe. Plus the never ending cleaning, cooking, cleaning, cooking without a dishwasher, washer or dryer or my own shower, and a bed where the cushions keep separating....well I'm sure you can understand how the lack of quality sleep affects my ability to keep calm and be kind....day after day after day.

So this year we decided to give up our place on the senority list and not attend. And it was very odd to be there just for an afternoon/evening and not stay over.

Most importantly I discovered how supportive my Harambee family is no matter what. Everyone I spoke with understood my decision not to attend and although they have all soldiered through camp despite their own crises, they were supportive of my decision to stay home. Thank you for the hugs and for listening, and for your humor and support. I really needed it.

Oh and thanks for including me in the Rhianna concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment