Monday, August 10, 2009

I'm home, I'm home!

Yea! I'm finally home after 5 days in Kamloops at my parents' place, without wireless internet access, and their computer would not let me log on to my blog or on to Facebook. How crazy is that?

I did get lots accomplished while I was there though. I took my middle daughter with me on Thursday so she could spend Friday with my mom while my dad came with me to check out some locations for our November workshop and spaghetti dinner. Plus he helped me pick up the rental tables we needed for our AFABC picnic on Sunday, and the bbq we needed to get. Somehow all that stuff would not have fit into my Honda Civic so we used Dad's big Ford pick up. Plus he knows all the short cuts. And, when I offered to buy him coffee he took us to this little out of the way place that served the best, yes the best, cinnamon buns with gobs and gobs of cream cheese icing.

Plus we stopped in at the MCFD office to drop off a Welcome Home Basket for a family with a newly placed little guy, and we did a drive by of the picnic location so we knew where we were supposed to be going.

Then back out to where my parents live to drop Dad off, check in and see how my daughter was doing (kinda bored), change into something clean and head off to my next meeting.

But before that, I make a call to my supervisor in Burnaby, to find out what has happened to all our picnic supplies that Wendy's Restaurants was supposed to be supplying and delivering to my parents' house. I left a message on her voice mail and cross my fingers that she hasn't left for the weekend already.

Now you have to understand that it is at least 35 C in Kamloops at this point, and for some reason I can't seem to get much cold air out of my air conditioning in my car. So I'm sweating big time. And cursing the thing too of course. And I'm jonesing for my email, so I try and access it at a Starbucks but for some reason my computer wouldn't connect to their free wireless. Grrrrrrr!

Back out to the hot sweaty car and I head off to my meeting with the Kamloops Boys & Girls Club whose office is blessedly cool. I'm hoping to partner with them to bring the True Colours Mentoring program that's been so successful in Kelowna, to Kamloops. And they were thrilled to partner with us! The meeting was a huge success and their facility is perfect for us. Now the real work begins trying to recruit mentors of colour for the program, but I do seem to love a challenge.

As I head to my parents' place, giddy with the success of my meeting, I finally figure out why I'm not getting very much cool air out of my air conditioning. The temperature dial is set in the middle of cold and warm. Duh. I am such an idiot. How could I not have noticed that, or thought to look at the stupid thing right in front of me.

Ya know, I sometimes wonder how I manage to function in this world at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment