Thursday, July 30, 2009

Are you KIDDING me??

You are not going to believe this one.

After 11 years of parenting, my husband had finally agreed to take the kids away camping for a few days so I could have a few days in the house by myself. I've taken the kids for little mini holidays many many times, but my husband had never done it. And I longed for just a few days in my own home by myself. Especially cause it's only halfway through the summer break and I really needed some time without having to parent. (Not to mention the fact of how much work I needed to get done.)

So my wonderful husband had arranged his schedule and had planned to take the kids in our vintage 1974 Minnie Winnie to a campground in Oliver for two nights. We've camped there many times as a family and we all really enjoyed it.

We packed up the Winnie on Wed. morning and by 11:30 am they were on the road headed for fun. I had already been cleaning like a mad woman and by noon I was done; the house was clean. I had just sat down on the deck to read my trashy novel when it happened. The phone rang. Should I answer or should I ignore. I ignored. Then my cell phone went off so I thought I should probably answer it. It was the local flower shop asking if they could deliver an arrangement to me. Within minutes they were at my door delivering this huge, beautiful bouquet of flowers from my husband and my kids. How incredibly sweet was that.

Then my cell phone rang again. It was my husband so I thought he was phoning to see how I liked the flowers. Guess what - the Minnie Winnie had broken down. Can you believe it? I mean, can you really believe it? I thought he was joking. I seriously thought he was joking. But no, he thinks it's the fuel pump.

So I stand there for a few moments in total shock before I have to phone and cancel the pedicure I had booked. Then I head out to pick up the kids while he calls BCAA for a tow to our mechanic who has closed his shop for two weeks. I was in total shock as I drove. I must have really bad karma. Or fate is desperately trying to tell me something.

By the time I get to where they're broken down I've had a good cry. The tow truck arrives shortly and we haul everything out of the fridge and put it in my car to take home and unload. Then we go meet the tow truck driver and unload a few more things. I am still in shock. But what can we do? It's just one of those things. No one's fault. But can you believe it? I have never had time alone (overnight) in my house. And I guess it's not going to start now is it.

Eventually we all mad it home. I am trying to be a grown up about it all, but it's tough. I don't want the kids to think I don't want them around, but I really need a break from them all. Just for a little while. My husband took the kids for a long swim in the pool and they all decided to go to dinner and then a movie so I can at least have some time here alone.

Too late for the pedicure, but I went out and rented a movie, bought my favorite kind of chocolate and vegged on the couch until they all straggled in around 9:30 pm.

I should note at this point that my husband is absolutely exhausted and flops down on the couch.

"Welcome to my world".

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you! I hope Winnie is back to her old self soon so you can send them out for round two.

    ReplyDelete